Sunday 20 June 2010

Get Hung or Die Trying?



I’d like to point out at this point that I’m a sceptic and also an idiot. Let me explain; if this really worked, why aren’t we hearing more about it? I’ve got a theory to that and I assume it’s because the length of time required to make a visibly significant difference is considerable, not many people notice results. But assume it’s a little like general fitness, with a view to modifying the shape of your body, there are no short cuts. It just takes time and persistence. There's also the possibility that some peoples bodies just don't respond to this type of stimulation, individual difference, etc.


I don’t remember which, but I read a compelling article on one of these Jelqing sites which referred to milk cows, specifically those that are milked manually. The technique is very similar and over time, manually milked cows have larger, longer teats. This change is permanent. The theory is that this gradual massaging and tugging breaks down the collagen bonds which then heal at their elongated length. I tried reading up on collagen on Wikipedia and it’s pretty complicated to a layman in the subject. One thing I did take away from it was that collagen formation (used in healing) requires several nutrients, of which vitamin C was important. It might be worth supplementing this if you don’t consume much citrus fruit or fortified food in your diet.


As for the idiot part, well I’ve been having a practice on these techniques for about a week before I’m writing this article. My first or second attempt was, a little vigorous and although I felt no serious pain, I did notice some mild bruising the following day. This is not worth it; at no point should I or anyone else adopt a “get hung or die trying” philosophy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment